Dube murder case postponed Khethiwe Mabena Published:Nov 04, 2008
No judge available so accused will face justice only next year
PAT Dube buried his head in his hands when he saw the three men accused of murdering his famous reggae star brother, Lucky Dube, strolling into the Johannesburg High Court yesterday.
“It just kills me to see these men. I feel really bad,” said Dube yesterday after the case was postponed to next year.
Sifiso Mhlanga, 32, of Vosloorus, Mozambican Ludwa Gxowa, 30, and Mbuti Mabe, 29, of Katlehong, Germiston, looked dishevelled before Acting Judge Ndawoyakhe Tshabalala.
The case was postponed to February 2. The trio are yet to plead to charges of murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, attempted robbery, and illegal possession of firearms and ammunition.
Dube was shot dead in a botched hijacking in Rosettenville, south of Johannesburg, on the night of October 18 last year, while dropping off his teenage son and daughter at a friend’s home.
Among the people who crammed the public gallery were Dube’s mother-in-law, Hlali Moukangoe, his backing vocalist, Thuthukani Cele, and his manager Mandla Nene.
Prosecutor Lethabo Mashiane told the court that he was not in a position to proceed with the trial because no judge was available to preside.
The indictment outlines the movements of the accused before Dube’s murder.
They allegedly hijacked Melissa Ann Mallworth and took her VW Polo in Brackenhurst, near Rosettenville, on October 13 last year.
Dube was allegedly the gang’s next victim, five days later.
He was shot dead when a group of men tried to hijack him and steal his car, a Chrysler, which was allegedly to be sold in Mozambique.
That same night, the men allegedly robbed Siphiwe Mlaba of his Mercedes Benz C200 near Jules and Jeppe streets, in the Johannesburg CBD.
Members of Dube’s One People Band were also present.
The accused were remanded in custody.